Winter weather may be uncertain all across Colorado and North America, but here in Colorado, winter always brings snow. Thousands of people in Colorado look forward to that blanket of white and the pleasures of enjoying the outdoors on snowmobiles. The Colorado Mountains are wonderful for the fun family activity of snowmobiling. Mountain Insurance Brokers would like to remind you of a few safety tips. Remember, now is the time to review your Colorado home insurance and auto insurance program. We can make sure you have the right combination of coverage and price, before you hit the road.
Mountain Insurance Brokers Insurance Snowmobile Safety Recommendations
- Never drive drunk. In fact, don’t drink and drive any ATV or snowmobile.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly serviced before hitting the trail.
- Carry a first aid kit with you.
- Tell others your route and return time.
- Do not modify your machine.
- Know your route. Watch for thin ice, forestry equipment, trees and branches on the trail, wildlife, road and railway crossings, oncoming snowmobiles, snow banks, drifting snow, unexpected corners, intersections and stops.
- Dress warmly.
- Carry a GPS and/or cell phone.
Trailer Safety Tips
- Cover your snowmobile on the trailer.
- Securely tie your snowmobile down.
- Make sure your trailer meets Colorado state laws.
- Use a tilt load trailer or a winch to load.
- Carry snow chains for the trailer.
When night riding, remember visibility is reduced by darkness and it is much more difficult to spot and identify potential hazards in time. Oncoming headlights can also be a serious problem, so slow down when snowmobiling after dark. Mountain Insurance Brokers can help you find the right combination of coverage and price, call us today.
Finally, be aware of avalanches, click on resource. http://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php