Winter storms are a reality for many Colorado businesses in our area. Winter storms include heavy snow, ice, wind, and even flooding. All these events can create a complete shutdown for many businesses. The good news is that there are many things that you can do to prepare your business for winter’s wrath. Initiate your snow removal contract, if needed. Work with your staff to check building conditions at all locations, and monitor the temperature.
Every building has critical systems that need to be managed in order to prepare for winter weather. Here are a few maintenance tips:
- During lengthy periods of cold weather, check occupied and unoccupied building spaces for structural damage, leaks, openings, and sprinkler piping breaks.
- If you have a sprinkler system, have it checked before the weather gets too cold.
- Check all exterior lighting; especially those lights illuminating walking surfaces.
- Never thaw pipes with open flames.
- Maintain building temperatures above 45 degrees.
- Check all pipes and insulate if necessary.
- If your building has a flat roof, it is a good idea to have it inspected for leaks.
- Invest in a generator. A generator can keep your business operating even in the event of a power outage.
- Establish safe equipment shut down procedures.
DCInsurers – Mountain, knows how important it is to have the right kind and amount of insurance coverage for your business. We also know how challenging it can be to sort through the numerous different insurance options to find the right policy.