For many Colorado Businesses the idea of an OSHA audit causes stress. Mountain Insurance Brokers can help reduce some of the stress, by helping you be prepared. OSHA audits are not something you usually plan for. Often, an OSHA inspector simply shows up at your firm to conduct an inspection. There are a number of things you can do to reduce your stress and to ensure your audit goes smoothly. It is always best to think about how your facility would respond to OSHA knocking at the door before it happens.
What are some the things that might trigger an audit?
- A planned visit
- A workers’ Compensation Claim
- Follow-up on a previous inspection
- A complaint
An OSHA audit will generally consist of the following: the arrival, opening conference, tour, and closing conference. There are real benefits to planning in advance for an OSHA visit. Advanced planning benefits:
- Makes the visit go more smoothly
- Allows you to be prepared
- Creates a positive impression
- May result in fewer violations
Here are some items to keep in mind when preparing for a visit:
- Have all training documented; including new employee orientation
- Keep your MSDS book in an accessible location, and keep it updated
- Keep and update all injury/illness records
- Update your emergency preparedness and evacuation procedures, including (if applicable); lock out, hearing, fall protection and machine guarding.
- Make sure housekeeping is managed everyday
- All exits are kept clear
- All electric panels must be closed
- All/any drums must be clearly marked, including the name of the product and the hazard type
- Make sure all your posting requirements are up to date
- Make sure your safety committee meeting minutes are up to date and accessible
- Be honest
- Don’t discourage employees from talking
- Think about hazards, not just standards
Speak to a Colorado insurance agent at Mountain Insurance Brokers to learn more and for choosing the right Business Life Insurance Policy that meets your business needs. For immediate service contact Kevin Krupka 720-974-1702.