Five Reasons Why Your Denver Business Needs Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI)
If you have Denver employees, you are exposed to potential employment liability claims. Employees know their rights, and it is time for all employers to be more informed about how to protect their companies. Employment practices liability insurance is a necessity for protecting both a company’s employees and its management staff. Employment practices liability suits can include claims of sexual harassment, racial discrimination, sexual discrimination, breach of employment contracts and even wrongful failure to promote or employ.
Reasons To Secure EPLI
- Harassment & Emotional Distress Claims. A manager at a company party made racial remarks to a co-worker. Other managers did nothing to assist the employee. These remarks continued for over a 10 minute period of time. The employee filed a demand in the amount of $250,000 for emotional distress resulting from harassment.
- Pregnancy Discrimination Claims. A top sales leader announced her pregnancy. A few weeks later she was not invited to a golf outing with clients and prospects to which she had previously attended, and management reassigned her top prospects to a junior sales rep. When she inquired about this, management replied that they assumed, due to her pregnancy, she would not be interested attending this event. After she received a much smaller bonus than in previous years, the associate filed a claim for pregnancydiscrimination with the EEOC. The claim was settled for $125,000.
- Hostile Work Environment Claims. A married manager of a heating company had an affair with one of his administrative assistants. The assistant ended the affair and was terminated a month later. The assistant then filed an EEOC charge against the firm and the manager, alleging a hostile work environment and retaliation. The case was settled for $325,000.
- Many Insurers Offer Free Legal Help. You can call an attorney to help you through a tough issue.
- Company Reputation At Stake. A company’s reputation in the marketplace can be severely damaged by employment practice claims. The negative publicity may be followed by potential reluctance of your clients and/or suppliers to trade with the company.
Insurance coverage for EPLI is completive and available through many markets. Here at DCInsurers – Mountain, we are dedicated to providing our clients with the highest quality in business and personal insurance products and services at the most competitive prices.