The summer weather is here and most of us are happy to be spending more time outside. But as we move to more activity outside, we need to be prepared for the summer heat. Heat stress workplace accidents occur every day in. Many times people who are injured at work need time to recover. As a business owner, you do everything you can to protect your employees from potential dangers, but do you have workers compensation protection? Most business owners understand that workers compensation is important, but did you know that if you have employees, it is required by law for most businesses to have coverage? Thankfully, there is workers’ compensation insurance to cover the medical and time loss costs.
What is Heat Stress?
Heat stress is a condition that occurs when the body is unable to regulate its internal temperature and cool itself through sweating. When the body gets hot, the heart pumps faster, blood is diverted from internal organs to the skin, breathing rate increases, and sweating increases, all in an attempt to transfer more heat to the outside air and cool the skin by the evaporation of sweat.
How To Keep Cool
- Stay hydrated
- Rest in the shade to cool down
- Wear light-colored clothing
- During heavy work in a hot environment, drink two to four glasses (16-32 ounces) of cool fluids each hour
- Keep track of employees
- Learn the signs of heat illness and what to do in an emergency
- Wear a hat
- Air-conditioning is the number one protective factor against heat-related illness and death. During conditions of extreme heat, spend time in locations with air-conditioning such as shopping malls, public libraries, or public health sponsored heat-relief shelters in your area
Having workers compensation coverage can save you and your business from costly lawsuits and employee issues. Workers Compensation Insurance protects your business AND your employees, who are oftentimes a huge part of the framework of a company. DCInsurers – Mountain is an independent insurance agency / brokerage which means we represent many companies such as the ones you see listed to the right in an effort to find our customers the best insurance value for their money